Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Top Ten of 2021: A Reflection

 This is my favorite time of year, where I get to look back on what I have read and think about how it has changed my outlook on life. So, much like other reading bloggers, I'm going to do a Top 10, but these are mostly not in any order other than something akin to an annotated bibliography, since some of these I can't put over the others, which means these are alphabetical.

Chee, Alexander. How to Write an Autobiographical Novel: Essays. Mariner Books. 17 April 2018. 

I read this book with Life's Library. In fact a few of these were picked by John Green or Rosianna Halse Rojas as books that the Life's Library community should read, and I'm glad that they chose these books. This one touched me in a way that I hadn't expected. Chee writes beautiful, striking prose about his struggle as a gay, Asian male looking to find his place in the writing community. If I was to teach a college-level Creative Writing class, this book would be at the top of my syllabus as one of the books that striving young writers should read. I loved the way that his prose flowed. 

Ferne, June. Chimpie. Bowker. 15 September 2019.

I admit, I loved this book not just because of the content, but also because I know the author personally, and she's a wonderful person. That aside, however, Ferne writes a beautiful children's/middle grade book about the fear that comes from our current social atmosphere of fear, especially in the reality of school shootings and in the shadow of Sandy Hook. Chimpie tells the tale of a young girl and her stuffed animal that comes to life for her and teaches her important lessons about overcoming fear.  I loved this book!

Green, John. The Anthropocene Reviewed. Dutton. 18 May 2021.

John Green is one of my heroes and I want to be him when I grow up even if he is younger than I am. His books are beautiful, heartbreaking prose with a poetic style that just opens you up and makes you really think. Anthropocene Reviewed is no exception. In this book, Green takes the same format as the podcast of the same name and writes reviews for things that are found in our current era, giving them a thorough, thoughtful consideration that covers both the history of the thing as well as his own reflections. I listened to the audiobook, which included a few extra tracks, the most touching of which is the review of the Hawaii O-O.   It is completely worth it to buy both the physical book (as it does have a few extra adorable reviews, including a review of title pages and end pages and fun publishing things), but the audiobook is worth it to listen to Green's emotion as he reads through the reviews. 

Headley, Maria Dahvana. Beowulf: A New Translation. MCD x FSG Originals. 25 August 2020.

I include this mostly because how excited I was for it and how amazing the language is. If it wasn't in my classroom with all of the books that I use for teaching (as I'm home on Winter Break) I would quote some of the amazing poetic writing that Headley included in this version of Beowulf. However, the thing I loved about it the most was that it is a text that I can (sorta) use with my students to show them how kenning works and the feminism of Beowulf written in a language that they can understand with the rhythms that they can get behind. I loved it.

Klune, TJ. The House in the Cerulean Sea. Tor Books. 17 March 2020.

This was, by far, one of the best books I read all year, and is at least in the top three, if not the top two, if not the absolute top book.  I read this in a period of some mental distress, and the way that Linus deals with the assignment he has been given was calming, as his tone was often one of reason. I loved the kids in this book so much, and the way that Arthur treated his wards and the things that he said and noticed about them made me think of my own students in a different light. I particularly loved the philosophical discussions that Lucy, Arthur and Linus would have.  The whole plot just made my heart sing. Though these may not be my students, I connected with each of the children in this book and wanted to see the world through their eyes. Fortunately, I have my students who show me a new world every day. 

Miller, Madeline. The Song of Achilles. Ecco. 20 September 2011.

Another Life's Library pick that I would have probably picked up on my own eventually, as I loved Circe which is also by Miller. The Song of Achilles was so beautifully written, and I cried so much at the end.  I honestly didn't have much of a grounding in Greek mythology before reading this or Circe, so some of the stories- like the sacrifice of Iphigenia- just incensed me. I was outraged, and I screamed and I gnashed my teeth. My husband was calm and said, "Oh, didn't you know that would happen?" and I said "NO!" and he laughed at me for not knowing my Greek Mythology better.  Patroclus's love for Achilles just sang out and was so beautiful, and I cried when he cried. I loved this book.

Noah, Trevor. Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood. Doubleday Canada. 15 November 2016.

I already love Trevor Noah for The Daily Show. I was excited to read his life's story. Born a Crime is a book that I think I will try to teach some day. Noah's reflections on his language, his family and the lessons he learned growing up in apartheid and then post-apartheid South Africa were wonderful. I would use this in my AP Language classes, especially the parts about how Noah became fluent in many different languages as well as the gift of argument and that was how he was able to really succeed.  I loved the way he talked about his own life, and I also listened to the audiobook for this one and got to hear the way he sounded when he smiled as he read certain stories. You can always hear the smile.

Rowell, Rainbow. Carry On. Wednesday Books. 6 October 2015

This was a light read that I needed so much and I absolutely devoured this book. It made my heart sing. I already had an idea of the premise, which is that Simon Snow is going to change the world, save the world, from the ultimate evil which is sucking magic out of the world. I already knew that there was a relationship that happens, and I was just waiting for it... and then it happened, and I danced and I jumped up and down, and I reveled in it. I loved this book so much for the romance and the self-discovery, and the WINGS! It was wonderful. I going to read the next one in the series sometime around Valentine's Day. It will probably be on next year's top ten list.

Washington, Bryan. Lot: Stories. Riverhead Books. 19 March 2019.

Ok, to be honest, I gave this book five stars, which means that it falls in my top ten, but I didn't write a review for it, and I read it back in January, which means that I've forgotten what it's about. Probably not really top ten worthy, since I can barely remember it, but I do remember the writing was good - and I definitely can't use it in my classroom due to some... explicit... material. It's the story of a young, gay man in Texas living with his father and his neighborhood. There is a good bit in the middle about baseball, and there is a lot about a strange underworld. It's a good book, I swear... I just can't remember it that much.

Wells, Martha. Network Effect. Tor.com. 5 May 2020.

I love love love the character of Murderbot, and I love ART, and I love it when ART and Murderbot get together because of all of the sarcastic wit and fun and wonderfulness, so this book was one I went into knowing that I would love it, and it didn't disappoint. When ART basically forces Murderbot to come to his aid, hilarity ensues as the whole Preservation gang gets involved in an elaborate plot to save the day.  If you haven't read Wells's Murderbot series, now is the time to do so. The books are short and amazing (though this one was actually novel length- it was totally an awesome read).

So, those are my top ten for 2021. I already have the makings of a good list for 2022. I went to the bookstore today and bought the books.  Now to do ALL of the reading!  Have a great 2022 y'all! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My incredibly long list of physical books in my office that I should read soon

 I have a problem. I have a problem that many book readers have. People keep publishing too many books that I want to read. I buy the book, ...